Family Resource Clients Getting Ice Cream

Medical Assistance Waiver Programs

Family Resource Center Clients and Volunteers Spend time togetherOur neighbors with disabilities in every community in Iowa now have choices. This consumer-driven program provides the support they need through Medicaid Waiver services to live as independently as possible in their home communities. The Family Resource Center collaborates with disabled individuals and their concerned families and guardians to ensure their needs are met to the best of our ability.

  • Supported Community Living (SCL): Helps the consumer through guidance to develop necessary daily living skills in their home and community
  • Respite: Provides a respite (temporary relief) for the parent or guardian by caring for the dependent consumer in their home, in their community, and/or in the registered service provider’s home.
  • Consumer Directed Attendant Care (CDAC): Assists the consumer in their home or in their community with tasks the consumer is unable to do for themselves which enhances their ability to live as independently as possible
  • Home-Based Habilitation: Assists the consumer in their home or in their community with the acquisition, retention, or improvement in skills related to living independently
  • Interim Medical Monitoring and Treatment (IMMT): Provides medical assistance, medical monitoring, and medical intervention as needed on a regular or emergency basis in the consumer’s home.
Who We Serve

Who We Serve

Families currently receiving WAIVER services represent 23 counties in west-central and southwest Iowa under the following Waiver Programs:

  • Brain Injury: For individuals with injury to the brain from factors not primarily related to degenerative or aging processes.
  • Children’s Mental Health: For children with serious emotional disturbances.
  • Elderly: For individuals 65 years of age or older.
  • Habilitation: For adults who have a history of psychiatric illness, who may need help in basic living skills such as self-care, money management, housekeeping, cooking, or medication management and/or may need help with social behaviors.
  • Intellectual Disability: For individuals who have been diagnosed with mental illness and are receiving or have received special education services before reaching the age of 18.
  • Health & Disability: For individuals who have a diagnosed physical disability.
  • Physical Disability: Designed for individuals who have been diagnosed with a physical disability; allows these individuals to live as independently as possible.

How Do I Access Services?

Department of Human Services (DHS) Local Office — the staff of DHS knows what services are available and they will help a consumer apply for services. If the consumer qualifies, DHS will introduce them to a Case Manager, who will, in turn, explain the Consumer’s Rights in accessing services and choosing a provider.

Our agency’s providers will follow the CONSUMER-DRIVEN PLAN by providing qualified and trained service providers to work with the disabled and their families in their communities. With offices in Carroll and Stuart and providers in 19 counties within Iowa, we will do our best to help you help yourself.

Contact Us